Texts in Indigenous Languages of the Americas Series
(formerly IJAL Native American Texts Series)
The International Journal of American Linguistics is now accepting proposals for the Texts in Indigenous Languages of the Americas series, an annual supplement to the journal dedicated to the presentation of analyzed oral texts from the indigenous languages of the Americas. We are now talking proposals for a guest-edited, thematically-organized collection of texts to appear with Volume 84 (2018).
Issues in the series may be single-authored or edited multi-contributor collections, and will have a print component of 200 pages (approximately 1,200 lines of analyzed text) as well as on-line PDF and HTML versions accompanied by audio recordings. Texts will be presented in four-line interlinear glossing following IJAL format, and must follow a uniform style throughout, including the use of a consistent set of abbreviations. Page formatting instructions can be found here. Preference will be given to texts for which recordings with time-aligned transcripts can be provided. There is no restriction as to subject matter, and texts from a variety of genres including myths, legends, rituals, and personal narratives are welcome.
Proposals should include:
- a one to two page description of the volume, outlining and justifying the unifying theme (language, language family, geographic area, subject matter), the origins of the texts to be included, and the relevant experience of the author/editor(s) with the language(s) involved
- a detailed table of contents
- short (50-100 word) bios of the contributors
- a short excerpt (5-10 pages) of analyzed text from the proposed volume
A Word template for page layout is provided here.
Where appropriate, contributors will be required to demonstrate that appropriate permissions for the publication of these materials have been obtained.
Projected publication schedule:
- December 1, 2015: submission of proposals
- January 2016: notification of decisions
- September 2016: receipt of manuscript for review
Address proposals and inquiries via e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include “TILA” in the subject line.
All proposals must be received by December 1, 2015.