We are currently seeking proposals for the January, 2020 issue of Texts in the Indigenous Languages of the Americas series.
TILA volumes are guest-edited, thematically-organized collections of texts published as a supplement to the January issue of IJAL and presented online on the IJAL website. Issues in the series may be single-authored or edited multi-contributor collections, and will have a print component of 200 pages (approximately 1,200 lines of analyzed text) as well as on-line PDF and HTML versions, ideally accompanied by audio recordings. Texts will be presented in four-line interlinear glossing following IJAL format, and must follow a uniform style throughout, including the use of a consistent set of abbreviations. Preference will be given to texts for which recordings with time-aligned transcripts can be provided. There is no restriction as to subject matter, and texts from a variety of genres including myths, legends, rituals, and personal narratives are welcome.
Proposals should include:
- a one to two page description of the volume, outlining and justifying the unifying theme (language, language family, geographic area, subject matter), the origins of the texts to be included, and the relevant experience of the author/editor(s) with the language(s) involved
- a detailed table of contents
- short (50–100 word) bios of the contributors
- a short excerpt (5-10 pages) of analyzed text laid out in TILA page format and style
- an assessment of how much work has been done on the project and what remains to be done
A style guide and Word template for page layout is provided here.
Where appropriate, contributors will be required to demonstrate that appropriate permissions for the publication of these materials have been obtained.
Projected publication schedule:
- December 1, 2017: submission of proposals
- January 15, 2018: notification of decisions
- September 1, 2018: receipt of manuscript for review
- December 1, 2018: receipt of reviews/notification of acceptance
Address proposals and inquiries via e-mail to email@example.com. Please include “TILA” in the subject line.